Norfolk County and its partners are fueling the creativity and entrepreneurship of Norfolk students through the Student Start Up Program (SSUP Norfolk). Entrepreneurs grow in Norfolk County, and we want to cultivate those abilities and instincts in students in Grades 6 to 12.
Student Start Up Program Application
The application deadline closes on June 17, 2018. Click Here
Guidelines and Important Dates
- Must be a student in Grades 6 to 12
- Previous SSUP recipient must not apply
- Must be a resident of Norfolk County
- Parent or Guardian must Sign Indemnity Waiver and Photo Release upon acceptance
- To receive maximum grant funds all 3 steps of the program must be completed. That is, submit the business plan application, attend 2 of the 8 Market Place events and submit a comprehensive finial report
Dates, Deadlines and Conditions
- Applications are now open for the 2019 Student Start-up Program.
- Application deadline is 4:30pm Monday June 17, 2019
- Successful candidates will be announces Friday June 21, 2019
- Selected student businesses will automatically receive $200 in start-up seed money.
- Distribution of Prepaid Credit Cards for chosen candidates will start on Tuesday June 25, 2019
- Deadline to collect Prepaid Credit Card 4:30pm on Tuesday July 2, 2019
- Student will received an additional $50 for every Market place event they participate in (to a maximum of $100, see schedule for dates). Student must see event organizer to receive a signature.
- A bonus of $100 can be earned if the student submits a comprehensive final report and picture.
- Deadline to submit final report and picture is 4:30pm Friday August 23, 2019.
- Bonus payment will commence on Monday August 26, 2019
- Deadline to collect bonus payment will be 4:30pm Friday August 30, 2019
- All uncollected Prepaid Credit Cards remaining after the deadlines have passed will be re-distributed to a other candidates or returned to the program budget.
- Successful candidates will be selected by community volunteers and representatives from Tourism & Economic Development Advisory Board (TEDAB)
- Selected candidates will be encouraged to provide a 1 minute video promoting their business
About SSUP Norfolk
SSUP Norfolk provides students in Grades 6 through 12 the opportunity to try self-employment during their summer holidays (July and August) as a viable way for employment that does not interfere with their studies throughout the school year.
Students are required to apply by completing the online application, filling out the business plan template and are encouraged to further elaborate on their venture. The template covers the basic components of a business plan, structure, and highlights the importance of putting ideas into action.
Applications are reviewed and successful candidates are notified by the end of June and awarded $200 to get started.
Throughout the summer, students are encouraged to attend as many (prearranged) Market Place events as possible. This will allow the students exposure to the public and gives them the opportunity to market their product and services. SSUP Student will earn an additional $50 for every Market Place event attended, to a maximum of $100. A mentorship and networking event is held midway through the summer to give students the opportunity to share their experience, outline their challenges and celebrate their success thus far.
At the end of the summer break students submit a report providing a comprehensive business analysis of their efforts. Students that critique his or her business and attach a picture of them engaged in their business are awarded a bonus of $100 for a job well done.
The program provides real experience in actual business and exposes young people to an alternative of being an employee or the ability to offset part-time work. They have the opportunity to following their creativity and dreams. With the support of our community; from mentoring to hosting Market Place events, students receive the support in growing as entrepreneurs and recognizing their true value.
For more information, contact Norfolk County Tourism & Economic Development, at 519-426-9497 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some of the 39 SSUP Participants for 2018
In 2018, sponsors of Norfolk County’s Student Start Up Program (SSUP) funded 39 student businesses involving young people in Grades 6 to 12 in summer 2018. Norfolk County received 97 applications from students in 26 elementary and secondary schools across the municipality. Not all applications could be funded
In 2017, 94 student businesses involving 107 young people in 26 Norfolk County Schools from Grades 6 to 12. After receiving 188 applications, 94 students benefit from the Norfolk County’s Student Start Up program.
In 2016, 40 student businesses involving 52 young people in Norfolk County were funded thanks to sponsors of the SSUP program.