Norfolk County’s Student Start Up Program (SSUP) approved $28,200 in funds to 94 student businesses representing 107 young entrepreneurs in Grades 6 to 12.
The program has doubled in size since its pilot year in 2016, when 40 student businesses were funded, involving 52 students. Some of the student businesses are partnerships involving two or three young people. Last year, there were 87 applications, compared with 188 in 2017.
Funding for the program is provided by 27 sponsors, partners and supporters, including large and small businesses, not-for-profit organizations, and local government. However, there was not enough funding to support all of the excellent proposals submitted.
To be eligible, each student business was required to submit a simple business plan which included a cash flow projection. Successful applicants received a $200 cheque at the beginning of the summer. If they file an end-of-summer report with Norfolk County, they receive an additional $100.
Family members, sponsors, Norfolk County staff and Mayor Charlie Luke applauded with enthusiasm at a presentation on July 6, when the cheques were handed to recipients. The Norfolk County Council Chamber overflowed with well-wishers.
“Norfolk County is proud of these young entrepreneurs,” said Mayor Charlie Luke, “and we are grateful for the many community-minded sponsors who stepped up to support these kids.”
“All schools in Norfolk County supported the Student Start Up Program, with some schools requesting multiple presentations,” said Jerry Sucharyna, Economic Development Analyst for Norfolk County, who coordinates the program and raised awareness among schools.
- (5-Star Sponsors – $1,500 each) Annex Media, Libro Credit Union, MHN Lawyers, Ross & McBride LLP, Simcoe Lions Club, Staples Simcoe, Titan Trailers, Van Amerongen & Son, Venture Norfolk
- (3-Star Sponsors – $900 each) Rassaun Services, Inc., South Central Ontario Region Economic Development Corp., Southwestern Ontario Tourism Corp., Toyotetsu Canada Inc.
- (1-Star Sponsors – $300 each) The Beach House Restaurant, CarStar Collision Services, Creative Design Ink, Harvey’s / Swiss Chalet, Norfolk County Fair & Horse Show, Norfolk Rotaract Club, Picard Foods
- (Supporters) Attaboy Window Washing, Long Point Eco-Adventures, MyFM, Simcoe Reformer, Whistling Gardens
- (Partners) Haldimand County Economic Development & Tourism, Grand Erie Business Center.
For more information about Norfolk County Student Start Up (SSUP) Program, visit norfolkbusiness.ca/ssup-norfolk.